View Single Post
Old 04-04-10, 09:56 PM   #137
shadow001

Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Understood. That would be very impressive if they could pull that one off. I would have thought only another revision would get that sort of performance increase though. That is if they do make a 485 and it is a new revision, rather than just a new model with more shaders and texture units unlocked.

I don't think it's a matter of if they do it and more of a matter of when they do,as ATI will no doubt have refresh parts out in the next couple of months,so it's easy to assume they'll aim to take back the single GPU speed crown from the GTX480,so a revised B1 stepping of fermi is the shortest and fastest way to counter that,and there's is more speed to be extracted from fermi once all 512 shaders are enabled,running at higher core speeds and packing the fastest GDDR 5 ram afterall,but they do need to keep the overall power consumption and heat output the same or lower as the current model with 480 shaders and lower core clocks.

The 28nm process is no where near ready for mass production and is more likely something that will be a factor next year,and when using that process,both GPU makers can further increase the transistor budgets another 50% and keep the production costs the same as long as yeilds are good,as well as keeping thermal and power consumption within limits.....

That's when i expect the next generation that can double the performance of current cards to really begin,so until that point,it's most likely relatively smaller enhancements to both the current Fermi and Cypress architectures,while still using the 40nm process,at least until the end of the year.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote