View Single Post
Old 04-04-10, 11:20 PM   #138
Muppet

Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I don't think it's a matter of if they do it and more of a matter of when they do,as ATI will no doubt have refresh parts out in the next couple of months,so it's easy to assume they'll aim to take back the single GPU speed crown from the GTX480,so a revised B1 stepping of Fermi is the shortest and fastest way to counter that,and there's is more speed to be extracted from Fermi once all 512 shaders are enabled,running at higher core speeds and packing the fastest GDDR 5 ram after all,but they do need to keep the overall power consumption and heat output the same or lower as the current model with 480 shaders and lower core clocks.

The 28nm process is no where near ready for mass production and is more likely something that will be a factor next year,and when using that process,both GPU makers can further increase the transistor budgets another 50% and keep the production costs the same as long as yields are good,as well as keeping thermal and power consumption within limits.....

That's when i expect the next generation that can double the performance of current cards to really begin,so until that point,it's most likely relatively smaller enhancements to both the current Fermi and Cypress architectures,while still using the 40nm process,at least until the end of the year.
I do agree. There really isn't any other choice for either Nvidia or ATI. Mostly because of all the issues with the 32nm process if it is true. If they are then I don't think we will see any 28nm chips until well into next year. It looks like Intel is the only one to really get the 32nm process up and running.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote