View Single Post
Old 04-06-10, 03:11 AM   #52
Vardant

Default Re: Physx Games Coming out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
It's really that simple, people. And since ATI is prevalent in the market right now, GPU PhysX is as good as dead. You'll have a title here or there that may use it for a few "ah, neat-o" effects that get tired after a few minutes and that's about it. Developers simply aren't going to delegate resources to something that won't be leveraged by everyone. As they shouldn't.

If I were Nvidia, I would probably try to do the same thing by keeping GPU PhysX in my hands, but they cannot win this game as long as ATI is a player in the industry. And it doesn't look as if that's changing any time soon.

Open standard is the only way to go at this point.
There's still no competition, so porting PhysX to OpenCL or Direct Compute is not necessary. Even if Bullet comes out, it will take a few years before we see game built on that from the ground up. PhysX is way ahead in GPU department and they can always port it in the future.

It doesn't matter if it's proprietary or not, they're making progress and other companies are trying to catch up. If it wasn't for NV, we would be nowhere near this.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote