View Single Post
Old 04-06-10, 04:38 PM   #104
XMAN52373

Default Re: Physx Games Coming out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
It's been a little over 2 years since Nvidia bought out Ageia btw...February 14th 2008 to be exact.

I think that there are larger market forces at work here,as ATI is owned by AMD,which makes CPU's that can accelerate physics,and the same goes for Intel,which owns the Havok API,and they're mainly a CPU company,and both of them want to sell the most expensive CPU's they can make to end users,and Intel just released the i7 980x 6 core/12 thread CPU,and it seems that AMD's next high end CPU(Bulldog),is a native 8 core CPU.

Feels like Nvidia is fighting an uphill battle with regards to GPU accelerated physics,especially if it requires the use of a dedicated card just for the physics calculations,as the graphics workload involved in the latest games,at extreme graphics settings,plus the physics calculations on top,all of that processed by the same GPU,is likely still too much to handle for now...It's a shame that GTX480 reviews didn't show results on games that support GPU physics at high graphics settings,so we can see relative performance with it enabled and disabled.
[H] is going to be doing another Metro 2033 game play review that deals with PhysX settings and how cards handle that.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline   Reply With Quote