View Single Post
Old 04-11-10, 09:07 AM   #32
gradinaruvasile

Default Re: Do You LIke Or Use Ubuntu? - Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle7677 View Post
Time consuming as opposed to what?

The thought of using something like 8.04 now would be just pure agony. I don't know how we did it then but we did.

Since I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 the builds get better and better. Everyone says that the Ubuntu distro gets all the credit for other people's hard work is somewhat true in the media reporting. If I could nail down the Gnome build process then "Ubuntu" would be solely mean the Synaptic application/libraries and the branding icons(which I've done away with) since I build Xorg-xserver/Linux kernel and all the other important applications I need myself. Maybe by the next release cycle(10.10) I won't even need those.
I was referring to the installing+setting up Debian. Because it has lesser preinstalled stuff (compared to Ubuntu), it takes a bit longer to put everything in place.

Also, using Debian "testing" you will get a "rolling release" - components will be updated constantly so it stays up to date. No 6 months reinstalling routine. I never had any stability problems with it (running it on 3 computers) despite its "testing" name, its actually better than Ubuntu (which i used from 7.10-9.10). Also, the packages are better maintained than in Ubuntu - meaning less time to get them upgraded.
Ubuntu LTS releases have the aging problem - if you want more up to date programs, you have to add various PPAs that can lead to dependency problems.
In contrast Debian stable has a backports repository that has the latest kernels and latest up to date versions of various apps (OpenOffice, Gimp, Ekiga, Pidgin etc).
All in all Debian has better package maintaining system (probably because there are many package maintainers), less repositories needed because most apps are in the main repositories.
The extra "glitter" Ubuntu has doesnt worth it from the functional point of view for more experienced users.
For beginners, it is better than Debian, i agree here, it has a kickass live-cd. But this beginner experience sometimes is made hard by the various developer imposed decisions - PulseAudio, window buttons placing (it is about defaults, most new people dont change them when trying a live-cd) etc.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote