View Single Post
Old 04-14-10, 12:56 PM   #7
leptogenesis

Default Re: Your system is too SLOW to play this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uau View Post
My first guess would be this kind of symptoms (playback suddenly freezes, but the process doesn't completely hang and you can still seek etc) are caused by an audio output problem. You don't explicitly say it, but I assume audio playback also stops when "video locks up"? Your above paste shows you're using pulseaudio, which is known to have some problems.

Do things work if you use -nosound?
Interesting suggestion...I tried it with -nosound, and now the behavior is slightly different--now the video freezes for about a second, then continues. You were right that the audio was also freezing.

Looking more closely, I noticed that what tends to happen (when audio is enabled) is that the video and audio will freeze for around a second, then the video will start going again for around a quarter of a second with no sound, and then everything stops again. This makes it seem like a pause in vdpau is screwing up the audio, which then causes the final freeze.

Quote:
Does this happen with all videos?
Thus far, I've only been able to reproduce this with my 60fps videos.

Quote:
Did it ever happen with the Ubuntu default player?
No--with the default mplayer, with specifying vdpau, the video would lag unless I used framedropping. If I used framedropping, the lagging still occurred, but mplayer would skip bits of the video to catch up.

Quote:
No pulseaudio vs ALSA-to-pulseaudio difference for example?
Well, I tried using the -ao alsa option with the mplayer from git and I got the same behavior. (not sure whether that actually means it's actually using alsa directly...ubuntu audio is confusing)
leptogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote