View Single Post
Old 04-14-10, 01:47 PM   #10
leptogenesis

Default Re: Your system is too SLOW to play this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uau View Post
A video problem, even if there is one, should not be able to completely stop audio playback unless it completely freezes the player (which doesn't happen here) or causes general memory corruption.
Then what do you think is going on when I use the -nosound option? I actually just noticed something else. When I'm playing with -nosound, and the video freezes temporarily, it's actually my *entire desktop* that freezes, including the mouse. This reminds me of a similar behavior I saw a few weeks back while I was using virtualbox--essentially exactly the same thing happens, where the entire desktop froze for around a second, stopping everything including sound. In that case, I actually did try completely disabling pulseaudio, and the problem persisted. I can't guarantee the problems are related, but who knows.

Quote:
Of course it's possible that timing variations could trigger an audio bug; but the audio would have to be buggy to begin with.
Wouldn't surprise me, given that it's pulseaudio in ubuntu.

Quote:
Was was the ao used when you did NOT specify that? Pulse?
That's what the error message seems to suggest--and afaik that's the default in ubuntu. I'm certainly no expert in ubuntu's audio hierarchy.

Quote:
AFAIK Ubuntu by default forwards ALSA output to PulseAudio. It's probably possible to test disabling PulseAudio somehow, but I don't know how (I don't use Ubuntu myself).
Unfortunately I can't really try disabling pulseaudio as I can't restart my computer at the moment...something is running that I'd rather not restart. But still, we can at least try to get mplayer working with -noaudio, right? In that case, the audio system shouldn't make a difference...
leptogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote