View Single Post
Old 04-22-10, 11:30 AM   #4
jesmith

Default Re: How to Maximize Performance of GTX 285M

Thanks for that link. However, my problem seems to be a little different, in that I get crappy performance when plugged in, and ultra-crappy performance on Battery.

Here's what I know so far:

1) This page: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFre...ppendix-i.html while somewhat old, seems to imply that I can put those mysterious NVReg_RegistryDwords params into either the xorg.conf OR the modprobe I use to load the driver. I'm using the modprobe.

2) Running "strings" on the driver binaries turns up a bunch of params that I might try to mess with:
PowerMizerDefault
PowerMizerDefaultAC
PowerMizerEnable
PowerMizerHardLevel
PowerMizerHardLevelAC
PowerMizerLevel
PowerMizerLevelAC
PerfLevelSrc

3) None of these seems to have any effect whatsoever. For example, this does not help:
Code:
modprobe nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1; PowerMizerEnable=0x0; PowerMizerHardLevel=0x3; PowerMizerHardLevelAC=0x3; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerLevelAC=0x3; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
Nor does this:
Code:
modprobe nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1; PowerMizerEnable=0x0; PowerMizerHardLevel=0x1; PowerMizerHardLevelAC=0x1; PowerMizerLevel=0x1; PowerMizerLevelAC=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
Nor any of the other permutations I have tried. I have also tried several of these in xorg.conf, in case point #1 was wrong, but they did not have any effect there, either.

4) In Windows, my benchmark gets 60FPS on A/C, and 15FPS on Battery

5) In Linux, my benchmark gets 30FPS on A/C, and 15FPS on Battery

6) On the other thread, NVIDIA said:
Quote:
Unforunately, at this time we do not have a fix yet for the issue that affects some 2X0M GPUs, which has a different root cause.
but then said:
Quote:
Further, if you're seeing differences in behavior with and w/o the power adapter plugged, you are likely seeing a different problem.
So I believe that I must be seeing a different problem.

Hey, NVIDIA guys, what more can I do to help you diagnose this?

BTW: I'm using a Sager 9285 which is really a Clevo D900F.
jesmith is offline   Reply With Quote