View Single Post
Old 04-26-10, 09:27 AM   #13
cthulhu
Great Old One

Default Re: Steam ported to Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

What crack are you smoking? I'm all for linux, don't get me wrong. But WINE performance is HORRIBLE compared to Windows native performance. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to get out of the Windows world but gaming has always kept me away from using Linux full time. No AA/AF and the frame rate is just awful.
"When it comes to crack, I got a little piece of advice: Never do a drug, that's named after a part of your own ass!"
- Dennis Leary

World Of Warcraft and Lord Of The Rings Online have both shown better performance under WINE, than under native winblows.

I'm well aware that Crysis, Far Cry 2 and similar games show terrible performance, but it's simply a matter of missing bugs in WINE. I wish I was only kidding, but a while ago LOTRO running in WINE experienced a rather annoying rubber band effect, where the player was constantly thrown back (like held back by a rubber band). It turned out that the LOTRO game engine relied on dubious behaviour (wrongly documented) in the winblows network layer. WINE Bugzilla link.

Of course missing DirectX functions and sub-optimal D3D->OGL wrapper code contributes to bad performance as well. Native OpenGL games usually perform quite well under WINE. Crysis and Far Cry 2 are AFAIK both DirectX games.
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote