View Single Post
Old 04-27-10, 02:38 AM   #19
cthulhu
Great Old One

Default Re: Steam ported to Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Oh well, I don't play MMOs. I usually just play FPS games and they run like sh*t going through WINE.
Whether it's MMOs or FPS games is completely irrelevant. The bug I linked to, was only to illustrate what the WINE developers are up against. It's no joke when they say that WINE is "a bug-by-bug re-implementation of vital winblows system libraries".

The thing that makes the biggest difference is whether it's a OpenGL or DirectX game. OpenGL runs natively on Linux, but DirectX is M$ technology for which there exists no Linux drivers. Thus it has to be emulated using OpenGL, therefore the performance hit.

I use Linux (and WINE) for WoW, Bioshock, Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy), LOTRO and DDO plus a PS3 for various other games.

And BTW: Screw Sony for removing the "Other OS" option from the latest PS3 firmwares!
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote