View Single Post
Old 04-27-10, 03:08 PM   #25
Vorgus

Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It is nice to know the ASUS has the G98 chip.

I should better explain what my needs are. I will be using it in my MythTV HTPC for playing programs recorded with an ATSC tuner so I am less concerned about H.264 and more concerned about MPEG-2. Although the streams are in HD, I will be downconverting them to SD as I don't have an HDTV yet, so I need the card to have TV-OUT (for S-VIDEO). When I get an HDTV, I can always upgrade my video card at that time.

Are there any fanless GF 210 cards with TV-OUT? All the ones I have seen have an HDMI connector instead.

I was also looking at a 9400 and a 9500 (both by Sparkle), but was told they actually aren't as good as the 8400 (and looking at the link provided by gradinaruvasile, it seems true as they only support feature set A).

Any other recommendations? Thanks again!
Right now I am only using the 8400 on atsc and it is down converting to SD. My tv has RGB in, so that is what I am using. And I can tell you, the asus 8400gs silent is too slow. It requires careful settings and still gets droped frames, looses A/V sync, gets stuck in some kind of video studder with no audio (fixable by chaning chanels). I use 1/2 spastal because one of the channels has more problems at full. I would not recommend this card. Also, think ahead. You may want to do more latter, even just add a dvd to play movies.

btw, it doesn't matter that yuo are down converting it. It's the source that matters. If it can't play h264 video then it doesn't matter if it's going to 1080p or TV-out, it's still h264. The card still has to handle the data before it down converts it as far as I know
Vorgus is offline   Reply With Quote