Thread: SpeedTest.com
View Single Post
Old 04-30-10, 04:36 AM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: SpeedTest.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmikesline View Post
i would like to. well it comes tomorrow, ill give it a try with the new modem and hope it will clear things up, if i dont see much of a improvement in speeds, ill just lower it back to 15, and keep the DOCSIS 3.0. i just got a new house and it was built in 2005. they said that i have fiber optics and my old modem is to slow for it lol, im just repeating what he said to me so...
Its too bad I dont work for conca$t anymore - one of the areas I services was WPB, dade county/miami; I cdould've hooked you up

Anyways, I would take a look at your modem logs for T1/T3/T4 timeouts and signal levels to make sure thats not the issue.

DOCSIS 3.0 modems are actually alot more picky about signal levels than DOCSIS 2/1 modems, so the problem may actually get worse after the swap...

Check your DS/US levels and the SNR.... Heres a little reference of acceptable levels...

Downstream Power Level (DS): -8dBmV to 9dBmV
Upstream Power Level (US): 35dBmV to 48dBmV

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): Anything over 34dB, the higher the better.

Also, check during the morning/day/evening for variances. Check when humidity is high/low and when its raining as these things affect the signal and can affect performance.

For accessing modem readouts: http://192.168.100.1

If you find that your modem has bad readouts, check your cable boxes (if you have one) and see if they have similar readouts - if they do, then call support and get a tech out there.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote