It's time once again for our featured Movers and Shakers
post. Each week we are taking one software category from CNet
and listing the top ten most downloaded apps in it.
This week we will be looking at digital photo software. These are the apps that we use to modify, organize or enhance our digital pictures. There are some awesome applications on this list.
If you have other personal favorites let us know in the comments.
This application is a must have for anyone working with images on their computer. We have a post here
on MakeUseOf describing the wonders that are IrfanView. You can do anything that Microsoft's built in viewer can do and oh so much more. It can capture screenshots and lets us map hotkeys. In my book this is the best of the best. With almost 50 million downloads of all time and 146,000 this week this is a winner. 2. PhotoScape
Second place is held by PhotoScape. It has had close to 12 million downloads of all time and 94,000 this past week. PhotoScape allows us to work directly with the RAW photo format that photographers are familiar with. There are also a lot of full on professional features like backlight correction, white balance adjustment, red eye removal and much more. 3. Photo Pos Pro
This application is also a very high powered image editor. It has a lot of PhotoShops features but it also comes with built in templates that will make a novice's life easier. You can make vector images in this application which is one thing you cannot do in PhotoShop and normally need Illustrator to do the job. 4. FastStone Image Viewer
FastStone image viewer is an awesome image viewer that is comparable to IrfanView. With FastStone we can batch edit images and work with PhotoShop's PSD format which is a huge help for people that do not want to purchase this expensive application. 5. GIMP
The Gimp is the open source version of PhotoShop. Some say it is immensely better and others say it is more difficult to use as it has a larger learning curve. If you can learn Gimp then you really should as it is an awesome application and can do almost everything that PhotoShop can do ' for free!
- Picasa Google's online picture/ photo hosting service. You can use their web space to store 1GB of files and view and manipulate them from their downloadable application.
- Paint.NET using .Net technology this application makes easy image editing a breeze. With its quick load times you can make your edits to your image and insert them where they have to go before PhotoShop can even boot up! You cannot work with high resolution images but in a pinch it can get a lot of jobs done easily.
- Photo Story 3 for Windows Easily create slide shows from your digital images to share and publish.
- ScreenHunter Free Screenshot software that allows you to capture a area, active window or your full screen (multiple monitors included) with the click of a button.
- CDisplay Image Display Do you want to lay out a lot of your images like a comic book in sequential order? Then this is the application for you!
MakeUseOf has done a lot of articles on image editing applications which you can pull up here with this link
. Hey Facebookers, make sure to check out MakeUseOf fan page on Facebook. Over 17,000 fans already!
Similar MakeUseOf Articles