View Single Post
Old 09-29-02, 02:11 PM   #1
BigChin

Unhappy RH7.3 & nVidia driver problems

Hey all,

Main details:
RedHat Linux 7.3, latest kernel and all updates aquired.
Trying to install Leadtek Ti4200 128MB card, followed the HOWTO here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=&threadid=648

Used NVchooser.sh to tell me to download: NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960.rh73up.athlon.rpm & NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960.i386.rpm

Installed those using rpm -ivh <filename>
Tried to use: XFree86 -configure but got the following error message:

"XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added to xf86PciInfo.h.
Please forward 'scanpci -v' output to XFree86 support team."

So I ignored that step and went onto modify the XF86Config-4 file as instructed. On completion of that I attempt to startx and got the following message:

"(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
Fatal server error:
no screens found"

So then I run the nv_check.sh script. It runs through fine until the end where it gives me the following:

"The NVdriver kernel module does not seem to be loaded. The 3D drivers will not work without it... Please compile it for your kernel, set it up to insert the module on boot, then run this script again. Remember if you are having trouble compiling the module, try adding -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES to the Makefile."

Now being a bit of a newbie I am lost as to what that is asking me to do. If somebody could help me with this (step-by-step instructions is possible) then I'd be very appreciative.

Or maybe the error is with the XFree86 -configure, I don't know. Any help would be great!