View Single Post
Old 05-06-10, 03:29 AM   #17
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: Installing nvidia driver on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Yep, I am watching as well, they have been very lazy with updates in past forcing users to install via manual way or from other PPAs, if they slack off, we all need to complain. See Ubuntu devs will bitch and moan about not using the manual way and yet, they will retain buggy old drivers in their repos and ppa, thats the paradox, they cite stability issue, I say its just lassitude, they would rather do silly plymouth for a 9 seconds boot process.
The ubuntu version philosophy is, as already stated, that a version is _not_ updated during a release cycle, only bug fix / minor releases are taken into the official repositories. This applies for all packages, examples are the KDE desktop, the Gnome desktop, OpenOffice, or Mozilla thunderbird (that was the reason as well that there was no official thunderbird 3 for ubuntu karmic, which "forced" users to use unstable third party repos for this, which created tons of problems)

I am not happy with this either, this is why I (despite officially supporting ubuntu) am using a different distribution for myself.

This said, if you are that unhappy with ubuntus package philosophy or ways of handling things, why don't you use one of the dozens of other distributions out there?

Because I really don't think that a small bunch of complaining users will change such a major decision made by canonical. If it would, then a ton of complaining users would have changed decisions like the new "visual design" decision in lucid. However, if you think that complaining helps, go ahead and complain. I recommend you do so at launchpad, which is public _and_ read by official canonical staff.

Kind regards,

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote