View Single Post
Old 05-28-10, 07:20 AM   #29
Nappers

Default Re: 185.18.14 on Dell M1730 - SLI hangs

Heh, yeah the frame rate is not as good as I'd expect from enabling SLI, though it's good enough for me most of the time. I've run a few "benchmarks" and get the following results (yes, I know glxgears is not a proper benchmark; NWN frame rates were measured at the same location in the game)...

with Option "SLI" "Auto" in xorg.conf without Allow Flipping :
glxgears with kwin compositing: ~2000FPS
glxgears without kwin compositing: ~9800FPS
glxgears -fullscreen with kwin compositing: ~410FPS
glxgears -fullscreen without kwin compositing: ~560FPS
compiz benchmark (sync to vblank disabled in compiz and nvidia-settings): ~240FPS
glxgears in compiz: ~4100FPS (whole display freezes but glxgears runs in the background until Esc is hit)
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows enabled): ~480FPS
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows disabled): ~410FPS
NWN with compiz 45-50FPS
NWN with kwin 45-50FPS
NWN with just X 45-50FPS

with Option "SLI" "Auto" in xorg.conf with Allow Flipping enabled in nvidia-settings (and getting epileptic fit inducing flickering of doom...) :
glxgears with kwin compositing: ~4000FPS (display freezes but glxgears runs in the background until Esc is hit)
glxgears -fullscreen with kwin compositing: ~420FPS
glxgears -fullscreen without kwin compositing: ~1800FPS
compiz benchmark (sync to vblank disabled in compiz and nvidia-settings): ~290FPS
glxgears in compiz: ~4100FPS (whole display freezes until Esc is hit)
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows enabled): ~1200FPS
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows disabled): ~430FPS
NWN with compiz 52-58FPS
NWN with kwin 52-58FPS
NWN with just X 52-58FPS

with Option "SLI" "no" in xorg.conf without Allow Flipping :
glxgears with kwin compositing: ~4000FPS
glxgears -fullscreen with kwin compositing: ~430FPS
glxgears -fullscreen without kwin compositing: ~550FPS
compiz benchmark: ~260FPS
glxgears in compiz: ~4600FPS
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows enabled): ~510FPS
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows disabled): ~430FPS
NWN with compiz 27-32FPS
NWN with kwin 45-50FPS
NWN with just X 47-52FPS

with Option "SLI" "no" in xorg.conf with Allow Flipping :
glxgears with kwin compositing: ~4300FPS
glxgears -fullscreen with kwin compositing: ~440FPS
glxgears -fullscreen without kwin compositing: ~1200FPS
compiz benchmark: ~320FPS
glxgears in compiz: ~4700FPS
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows enabled): ~1000FPS
glxgears -fullscreen in compiz (unredirect fullscreen windows disabled): ~450FPS
NWN with compiz 36-42FPS
NWN with kwin 45-50FPS
NWN with just X 47-52FPS

In summary, it appears that Option "SLI" "Auto" and Allow Flipping enabled gives the best frame rates, but that also gives the horrible flickering. The compiz benchmark is much better with Option "SLI" "no" and Allow Flipping enabled, however playing a game such as NWN seems to give about the same frame rate with Option "SLI" "Auto" and Allow Flipping disabled as with Option "SLI" "no" and Allow Flipping enabled. I'm not sure why the frames rates of NWN with compiz were so much lower than with kwin or just X; unredirect fullscreen windows was enabled in both cases, disabling it gives frame rates of 3-5FPS...

Cheers,
Nappers.
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote