Re: 260GTX nvidia-drivers-190.42-r3 - powermizer issue
Ok, so this new driver works, but with some odd quirks. When I first installed the driver, running on AC power, I found that PowerMizer reported the 4 performance levels on my GTX 285M as being all the same except the first level. The first level was correctly reported as 200 MHz NV clock speed and 120 MHz memory clock speed; however, the other 3 performance levels were 600 MHz and 1000 MHz respectively. When I changed to battery power, I found that all the levels had changed. The highest performance level was incorrectly reported as level 2. Interestingly enough, the performance mode is stuck on Maximum performance and no adaptive clocking was present, until I made a modification in the xorg.conf file. I added Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerLevel=0×3" to the Device section. While this forces operation at the lowest levels, it does not behave as it used to on other computers I have worked on. Instead, it engages the adaptive clocking and scales correctly according to usage, although performance mode still says maximum performance. However, each time it scales, the performance level speeds are changed and incorrectly reported. Another oddity is that nvidia-settings reports the speed as being maximum at 600 MHz and 1000 MHz; however, nvclock does not, it reports speeds for both around 450 MHz. I question what the actually speeds are as neither program appears to be functioning completely correctly under this new driver. However, I can report that I am attaining higher clock speeds with this new driver than with previous ones, I just don't know if it is truly maximizing my graphics card. I have attached an nvidia bug report. Thank you!