View Single Post
Old 05-31-10, 02:05 AM   #2
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Official: nVNews Reviews the EVGA Geforce GTX 465 SC

Box Shots:

The card box is similar to past EVGA designs, so there's nothing too remarkable about the package design. A nice touch is the barcode sticker next to a peek inside at the card's corresponding barcode sticker, to aid in ensuring the consumer gets exactly the card they paid for.

Box Contents:

• EVGA GTX 465 SC Video Card
  • EVGA Driver/Software Disc with EVGA Precision Tuning Utility
  • Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cable
  • DVI to VGA Adapter
  • (2) 6-pin PCI-E Power Cables
  • User Guide

The EVGA Geforce GTX 465 SC Unboxed:

The EVGA GTX 465 ships with quite a bit of protective tape covering the piano black portions of its cooler. I'd suppose one could keep that tap on to keep the surface fresh, bit doing so removes takes the fun out of looking at such a shiny cooling system. Its looks are consistent with the appearance of other recent EVGA video cards, and as a matter of fact it... ... hey wait!! That's the GTX 470's cooler!

Regardless of the fact that the EVGA GTX 465 looks an AWFUL lot like the 470, it is still a pretty good looking card. Longer than the GTX 470 but shorter than the GTX 280, it is fairly substantial in size. On the topside picture the SLI connectors are visible as well as two PCI Express connectors. I personally like the placement of these, as with longer cards it is difficult to connect these when they are on the end of the PCB.

Size Comparison:

• EVGA Geforce GTX 465 SC - Bottom
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 - Middle
  • XFX Radeon HD 4890 - Top

The EVGA GTX 465 is not as long as the porcine HD 5830, but is a hair longer than the HD 4890, making an appearance in this review only for visual reference.

It's easy to tell which card here is the oldest. The HD 4890 lacks any HDMI output and makes use of an S-Video tv-out connector. Both the HD 5830 and the GTX 465 make use of HDMI-out, but the Geforce uses a mini-HDMI connector, which can be hooked to an HDMI-equipped visual output device using an adapter or the supplied adapting cable.

Cooling Solution:

EVGA's cooling solution for the GTX 465 is quite interesting, and I mean that in a good way.

After loosening screws on the backside of the card as well as the connector plate, the assembly is easy to remove from the board. The topside cover is bound using push clips. This leaves two other functional pieces. The almost card-length main heatsink assembly is Aluminum and serves several functions. One is a mount point for the GPU heatsink. Another is the frame for the fan. And still another is a heatsink surface for the memory chips. On the other side of the thermal tape the fins are visible, indicating that EVGA wanted to go beyond just basically cooling the memory chips with a block of Aluminum, but rather wanted their dissipated heat to exit the cooling solution in a strategic manner.

Wait... that last picture. What was that? Is the bottom of the heat sink missing something? I mean, the heat pipes are there, and the Aluminum is there, but where's the mirror-finish flat copper pad? This is interesting.... will it work though? I spoke with EVGA about this cooler, and they said that this heat sink was a "direct touch" design designed to actually enhance heat transfer.

It is interesting how this cooler fits together. It is a solid design rivaling many aftermarket units, and on first glance it appears that it has great thermal management and laminar airflow handling characteristics. The only question is regarding the noise capability of the fan, which is not a large unit, so it would seem that it probably spins at a high rpm.

Next - Test system, compare card and overclocking

Last edited by ragejg; 06-01-10 at 07:49 AM.