View Single Post
Old 05-31-10, 02:07 AM   #5
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Official: nVNews Reviews the EVGA Geforce GTX 465 SC

Heat/Power Consumption, Conclusion and Final Thoughts

This is a big card that does draw quite a bit of power, but it doesn't get too hot. During heavy gaming the GPU never went past 78 degrees C. When set on auto, the fan noise is audible as it increases past 50% but it never gets too annoying. So all in all, regarding heat and power consumption there is'n much to add here as the EVGA GTX 465 really doesn't do anything different than other enthusiast video cards of recent generations.

Conclusion:

As far as gaming performance is concerned, the GTX 465 is definitely a powerful GPU. It's really nice to be able to use high-quality AA modes on never games at high resolutions like 1920x1080 with little performance hit. NVIDIA has stated that the intended use for this GPU is around 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF, and for the most part they hit the mark. I'm sure that the results for this card would probably scale quite well as CPU horsepower increases as well, as I'm fairly certain that NVIDIA did most of their testing for this GPU on systems a little more powerful than mine. It would be interesting if NVIDIA could comment in some way on their GPU testing so we could truly know if they are considering midrange enthusiast gamers out there. I know I can't afford an i7, can you?

Judging by the benchmarks it does seem to be a match for the HD 5830 moreso than an HD 5850. It is this reviewer's opinion that the GTX 465 would not be able to match the performance of an HD 5850 in most games. It has too much of a bandwidth deficit, and not enough stream processors to keep up. Titles that use tessellation, however, are a different story. Since it's fairly certain that at least for this generation of GPUs NVIDIA has the lead in that department, titles like Metro 2033 and STALKER Call of Pripyat, and benchmarks like Heaven and Stone Giant will continue to show NVIDIA leading.

If you're a fan of NVIDIA products and you're looking for a DirectX 11 video card for under $300, the EVGA Geforce GTX 465 is a great choice. It offers a great feature set, sufficient GPU horsepower for high-IQ high-resolution gaming even when slightly CPU-limited, it looks nice, draws a little less power than its more powerful siblings, and according to NVIDIA, it scales wonderfully in SLI. The EVGA Precision and OC Scanner also add value to this package, as does EVGA's industry-leading lifetime warranty which is a BIG plus.

In the end, however, it's hard to ignore that this card fails to decisively beat the much less expensive Sapphire Radeon HD 5830. Lets hope that competition forces the prices down a little bit to level the playing field.

THE EVGA GEFORCE GTX 465 IS AVAILABLE NOW FROM SELECT ONLINE RETAILERS.

Last edited by ragejg; 06-01-10 at 07:51 AM.