View Single Post
Old 06-19-10, 05:23 AM   #7
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: B3D GTX-480 Thermal Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
As well done as the article is, I'm getting sick of reading articles trying to justify the amount of heat that this thing produces.

But why does Nvidia believe that this sort of extreme heat and power usage is acceptable for retail usage? And why do so many people continually stand behind it saying it's an amazing product?
How can you get sick of reading these articles when there aren't any? This is literally one of the very few out there.

As far as why Nvidia believes this is acceptable, it's because it is acceptable, and the product is amazing. Most people who spend $500-2000 on video cards don't care about the stuff you are complaining about.

My year to year my power bill went up a whopping $3 in May. That's insignificant to me. I've seen reports saying it would be $12...also insignificant. As far as heat, 80% of the time they produce no more heat than a 5870. The other 20% of the time my gaming is improved and I couldn't care less.


I used to own this bad ass Firebird. Thing was loud as hell and sucked gas like it was going out of style. It was also fast as lightning and is to this day my favorite of all the cars I've ever owned. The 480 is my Firebird.

I'll gladly sacrifice a little power usage and heat for more power. And don't kid yourself, the performance isn't "quite good", it's ****ing excellent, and the gap between it and the 5870 is even larger than the benchmarks would lead you to believe.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote