View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 09:42 AM   #39
Slytat

Default Re: Is there a really big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
The HD5870 has had two driver releases since I last owned one. The GTX 480 actually gets more FPS in some of these games, but its the smoothness I'm after now . When I first popped in the in GTX 480 I was just looking at the FPS using fraps after the excitment wore off and I began gaming with it did I notice the hitch. RF:G still runs faster and smoother on the GTX 480. AC 2 had a micro stutter on the 480 that I didn't notice right away, like I said at first I just fired it up with Fraps and went purely on the FPS, not the actual gameplay smoothness. Splinter Cell Conviction is another game that the GTX 480 is faster in but has that hitch once in awhile that drives me nuts. Even with the hitch the GTX 480 runs SC:C smoother. The only crusade I'm on is to have the smoother card in my machine, even if its not the faster one. What really ticks me off is how so few people are annoyed with things like little hitches, while they are just game breakers to me. Some people are more sensitive to things like this and notice them more. I may just RMA my GTX 480 for another one to see if the card is defective.

Unless the 257 drivers have just made things get worse, I'll go back and retest with GTX 480 with the earlier drivers. Now that I have both cards here I can easily retest things.

Also, I fired up COD4 MP with the 5870 and with punkbuster enabled and I don't get the heartbeat stutter for the first minute or so that the GTX 480 did. I had to disable PB to avoid that.
If I saw any hitching/stuttering in these games it would annoy me. I don't so it doesn't. You're on a crusade to try and make out that there is some universal stuttering/hitching problem on the 480. As I said before, it's either a defective card or something wrong with your system (have you checked your DPC latency lately)?
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote