View Single Post
Old 07-06-10, 04:31 PM   #375
FearMeAll

Default Re: Post your HDTV displays here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
That BD Rebuilder worked perfectly! Thanks for that info! It took the disk and let me rip it down to a full uncompressed single 44 gig file. I think right now, I'm going to see where I'm at as far as remaining storage space goes after all my movies are on the harddrives and then probably as I start on the bluray's, I'll compress some that aren't as spectacular to look at as others to help manage space.

I'm also entertaining the notion of getting one of those external 3~4 drive raid boxes that's E-Sata and just putting huge drives into that to use if I end up filling all 4 hdd spaces in the case.

also, once I built the library for XBMC, it worked perfectly.

It did however take about 7 hours to finish re-encoding gladiator... I may do what you do and use my beast at work for bluray encoding. It's got a pair of W5590's and 16 gigs of ram. Only problem is that I would have to get another bluray drive to have here for the disks :/

I guess there sort of cheap at this point. Either that or get an E-sata external enclosure to put the drive I've got now into and just take it to work when I need to rip them down. I guess I TECHNICALLY don't need it in the machine at the house if all the video's are going to be on the drive anyways...and I always have the PS3 in a pinch.
I let the movies encode before I go to bed. It's best to let it run all night. I encode it down to 720p (which is my projector rez) with 640kps 5.1 audio and they always stay under 5 gigabytes and look and sound the same to me. I still can't believe the quality I get for 4.16 gigabytes on a 2 hour movie. I never see any blocking and really if you want to go 1080p just let it encode at DVD9 capacity. You will be completely shocked at the results. I know I was. I still can't believe it and I've encoded my entire library for streaming.

The x264 codec is absolutely amazing. I love also how BDrebuilder does 2 pass encoding without you having to do anything.

I'm not kidding on my projector it is impossible for me to decipher the difference of a 44 gig blu ray m2ts file and a 4 gig. One of my best friends came over to see Watchmen(which is a 3 hour movie) and we watched the whole thing on the projector. Afterwards I said that the movie was only a 4.16 gig file he flipped out. He thought we were watching the actual blu ray disc.

If you want gigantic files still you are free to do so, but just play with smaller files and see if you can decipher a difference. For video there isn't hardly any. People get hung up on the lossless audio but I can't tell. 106kbps per speaker is a high enough bitrate for me, but everyone has their choice.

Below are screens of the blurays I've ripped at 720p..all of these movies have been forced to stay under 5 gigs. Take into account jpeg compression. They look better as bitmaps. No blocking artifacts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CI-16804424030079439.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	40658  Click image for larger version

Name:	CI-12869638430075078.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	40659  Click image for larger version

Name:	CI191272699230078098.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	40660  Click image for larger version

Name:	CI-76646947230088531.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	40662  
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote