View Single Post
Old 07-07-10, 11:59 AM   #1
fuzzypickles

Default Absurd shadow/gradient graphical issue with 256 driver on GeForce 9800M GTS

A month ago, I tried upgrading to the 265 beta version of the nVidia driver. After a lot of fuss, I got it to install, but was extremely annoyed by some weird graphical issues that appeared in GTK widgets with the theme Shiki-colors and in the shadows of the gnome-do window (and possibly elsewhere, too!). However, I figured this was an issue with poorly installed drivers and a poorly managed system.

Recently though, I've reinstalled everything, and I've installed the newest, current nVidia driver (256 series), and lo and behold I find the same graphical issues! I've tried searching the forums and the internet, but I can't seem to find any information on the issue. Basically, the issue seems to be that what should be a soft, box-shaped gradient is instead an collection of linear and solid-filled regions. This was not an issue with the 196 series, and I don't think it was an issue with the first 256-series beta driver I tried (a while ago).

To produce bug: View a button or similar gtk+ widget themed in shiki-colors style, or call up gnome-do window. There are no cases of everything looking "right" before they get messed up.

I have a Sager / Clevo laptop of some sort, with a GeForce 9800M GTS graphics card. I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick, but I had the same issue when I tried it before on 10.04 Lucid.

I've attached a screenshot demoing the problem with both gnome-do and gtk widgets, and the log..

UPDATE: The little circular loading indicators in Chrome are now simply flickering squares due to what I believe may be the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-07-124620_1387x963_scrot.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	40671  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (43.1 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by fuzzypickles; 07-08-10 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Remembered another glitch...
fuzzypickles is offline   Reply With Quote