View Single Post
Old 07-11-10, 03:05 PM   #1
lucasj

Default Fedora 13, Xorg 1.8, 9800GT - full-screen video playback causes kernel crash

Hello nV News. I've had system instability problems with my Nvidia 9800 GT and every driver version I could manage to find (256.35, 195.xx, RPMFusion's godawful kmod package, etc.) that seem to be related to full-screen video playback.

When using MythTV / mplayer / etc. to play back any sort of full-screen video, occasionally the display will flash, usually the keyboard lights will lock up, and the system will become unresponsive. Although vterms (ctrl + alt + f2) cannot be accessed, sometimes I can ssh into the machine and check to see what happened for about five or ten minutes before the system completely crashes (kernel panic? hard lock? no idea) and must be rebooted manually.

This happens sporadically. Sometimes the crash happens within the first two seconds of playback, sometimes it can take up to ten minutes, sometimes it can take hours to happen. Sometimes it will happen whether or not VDPAU is used at all.

Kernel: 2.6.33.6-147.fc13.x86_64 (most recent Fedora 13 kernel)
Card: PNY Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Driver: 256.35 (the open-source nouveau driver was forcibly removed)
Attempts to solve the problem: pci=nommconf, idle=poll, maxcpus=1, clocksource=hpet, disabling XVMC / VDPAU playback in MythTV, using -vc ffmpeg12 as opposed to -vc ffmpeg12vdpau, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard BIOS is up-to-date

Attached are two bug reports generated by the shell script provided by the driver, with different kernel options. Also attached are two VDPAU trace logs from using mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau for the same MythTV video recording in two different points in the movie. These logs are for four different crashes. I'll cut the first 20 MB of the video, 2455_20100614000000.mpg and upload it shortly.

I haven't heard anything about this sort of crash yet. Is this related to Xorg 1.8? (I'm also seeing occasional graphics glitches in terminal windows, emacs and such which probably have to do with Xorg 1.8.) Would it help if I were to buy a more recent card?

- Lucas

(Edit: should also mention that the card / hardware-accelerated full screen video playback works fine in Windows, so it's probably not defective.)
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-maxcpus-1-idle-poll.log.gz (64.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-pci-nommconf-idle-poll.log.gz (72.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: bz2 vdpau-trace.log.bz2 (39.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: bz2 vdpau-trace-2.log.bz2 (36.6 KB, 59 views)
lucasj is offline   Reply With Quote