View Single Post
Old 07-12-10, 11:02 PM   #4
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Page 4

About EVGA and their GTX 460 Superclocked

As the best-selling GPU vendor in the US, EVGA has a reputation for delivering what gamers truly want. From innovative cooling solutions to overclocking software to great warranty coverage, EVGA is often the top choice when shopping for a graphics card. At first glimpse, the new GTX 460 Superclocked that they are selling (the review unit is model 768-P3-1362-AR) for $219.99 is no different from any of their other recent choices.

Before we get into the nuts and bolts of the physical package, let's talk about service. I think that EVGA stands above other graphics card vendors for several reasons. Number one is the three-year warranty which they really honor. Second is the step-up program, which allows the user to upgrade by sending the old card back to EVGA and get back something newer and better at a lower premium than an outright upgrade purchase. EVGA also actively develops software for their video cards to assist in tweaking/overclocking and temperature awareness.

New feathers in EVGA's cap incluse the following two "items":

Mods Rigs

From http://www.evga.com/modsrigs/TopRating.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGA
“Mods Rigs is a community based off of computer system modifications and specifications. Post up pictures and system components of your latest system build and show them off to the whole world. Meet all of the qualifications and you can become automatically enrolled in randomly being picked for a $1K sponsorship! With new users and systems being added everyday, Mods Rigs provides hours of browsing through the ever increasing database of enthusiast systems. Post comments and compare your systems to others, search for specific system components, submit your 3D Mark Vantage benchmark scores and earn the right to be placed amongst the ranks of the TOP EVGA RIGS. Come join in and be a part of one of the biggest things happening at EVGA!”

EVGA SoNet

Between forums, Twitter, Flikr, Facebook, YouTube, Steam and podcasts, there's sure to be a way for you to interact with the EVGA community that best appeals to you. This extremely robust online presence makes an EVGA GPU owner a member of a large, diverse and easy-to-access online community.

Other GPU vendors are still playing catch-up to EVGA, and with these two recent additions they have further distanced themselves. I dare not think what EVGA would be nowadays if they hadn't decided to create a custom cooling solution for a Geforce 4 MX all those years ago.

Package and Card

It's a video card with accessories in a box. I'm not going to bore you with too many unboxing details. What I can say is that the packaging was solid and I appreciate that the packaging carrying the card is a more hand/finger/environment friendly cardboard. Inside is the usual suspects (manual, driver disc, adapters etc.) but a nice added bonus is a case badge and Geforce GTX 4-series bumper sticker. Sure it's not the ever-tasteful Calvin relieving himself on an ATI logo bumper sticker (note: sarcasm), but it is pretty cool looking.

Package Contents:
  • EVGA GTX 460 Graphics Card
  • EVGA Driver/Software Disc with EVGA Precision Tuning Utility
  • Mini-HDMI to HDMI Adapter
  • DVI to VGA Adapter
  • (2) 6-pin PCI-E Power Adapters
  • User Guide
  • Case Badge
  • Bumper Sticker

Box and package shots:

Also included with the purchase of an EVGA Geforce GTX 4-series card are the overclocking utilities EVGA Precision and EVGA OC Scanner.

Last edited by ragejg; 07-15-10 at 01:42 PM.