View Single Post
Old 07-13-10, 04:54 PM   #24
Bah!

Default Re: GTX 460 SLI: The REAL deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
In single form, the GTX 460 is a mainstream/mid-range part.

In dual form, a la SLI, you've got an enthusiast solution. Why is it an enthusiast solution? Because it's more powerful than a GTX 480 in 95% of games on the market.

Did you even click on the article link I posted?
I actually think it's a whole lot less attractive for an enthusiast in SLI. Yes, for about the same price (slightly less) you can get about 10% more performance than the 480. However, here are a couple of problems with going this route:

First, is a 10% performance increase worth the hassle of a dual-gpu system? I don't think so. I love my 480 SLI system, but I'd jump at a single card solution that was only 10% slower than what I currently have in a heartbeat. SLI is much better now than when I had my 260's but there are still plenty of issues. Even Hardocp said that in some games were the 460 SLI system benched higher, the 480 had "more fluid gameplay" which is one of the huge issues with SLI when a game taxes the graphics cards. That will only become more pronounced the more demanding that games get.

Second, you have zero upgrade path, so even if you save a few bucks now, down the line you end up spending just as much in the long run. You can't add a third card for an additional $200, you're going to have to blow quite a bit more when it's all said and done.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are excellent cards. And they will sell much better than the higher end parts, like mainstream products tend to do. I just don't think "enthusiasts" have been sitting around waiting for these particular cards, be it single or SLI.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote