View Single Post
Old 07-23-10, 04:22 AM   #1
cedricv

Question No Optimus support means NO Nvidia at all or no dynamic switching?

Hi all,

I've posted in a previous thread all necessary info/logs but I have yet to get a definitive answer about what to do or what to expect about using the NVidia GPU on an Asus U30JC.

Maybe this is related to "NVidia has no plans to support Optimus on Linux at this time" (quoted) ...
However this sentence is unclear with regards to what to expect from NVidia on all the new laptops that are sold with Optimus (probably the majority of NVidia-powered laptops in the near future...).

Optimus being a technology to dynamically switch between GPU depending load and open applications, no support on Linux can mean two things :
1) no support for dynamic adaptive GPU switching, which is the raison d'etre of Optimus : bringing substantial power savings.
2) no support at all, the NVidia GPU is completely OFF and cannot be ever turned ON under Linux.

I understand (1), especially since GPU switching in Linux is still a moving target when it comes to kernel and/or X.org support... so it would be a lot of work for NVidia to implement something like this.

However (2) is quite a stretch that I can't believe to be true, as this will completely obliterate NVidia on Linux on pretty much all future laptops, and support for this likely being much less difficult to do (ie. 'just' have to setup the routing to Intel's framebuffer and make NVidia the primary GPU once and for all - no dynamic switching involved).

Any clarification possible from NVidia about this ?

Regards,

Last edited by cedricv; 07-23-10 at 04:31 AM. Reason: fix title
cedricv is offline   Reply With Quote