View Single Post
Old 07-27-10, 09:50 PM   #1
ProgrammerTim

Default Drivers won't load: EVGA GS250, Ubuntu 10.04(32bit),Asus A8N-SLI, AMD64 X2 4800

Due to catastrophic system failure, I have decided I have the time to switch from Windows to Linux (since I have to format the hard drive anyway). I have been a programmer on Microsoft systems for 20+ years, but I know diddly about Linux. So it is possible that other posts on this forum may already tell me how to fix this issue, and I just don't understand them, and any help might be best phrased in simple to understand terms.

As stated in the title, I have an EVGA GeForce GS 250, an Asus A8n-SLI Premium, AMD 64 X2 4800 chip, and have installed Ubuntu 10.04.

I have a Sceptre x270W-1080p monitor. After installing, Ubuntu, my monitor runs properly at 1920x1080. Ubuntu detects the nvidia card and tells me I need the proprietary drivers. I install them and reboot and receive errors...

Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0
Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I have the same error with the driver offered by ubuntu or downloading the latest nvidia drivers from the site. I have tried both options on a clean system (format and reinstall between attempts). I tried 9.01 (or whatever version the previous ubuntu was) and it failed with some sort of weirdness in which the view quickly flickered between a terminal and a black screen. I could type when it showed the terminal, not that it did me any good. I'm guessing it got caught in an infinite loop where it tried to load the gui, failed, dropped to the terminal for a split second, and then tried to load the gui again. I then tried 9.01 with an upgrade to 10.04. This is the current configuration and is getting the same errors.

I am attaching the bug report log file, my xorg.conf file (I'm running in "low graphics mode" right now, so I don't know if this is the real one or some sort of default one) and the output of ddcprobe.

I'd really like to get this resolved. I've wanted to get away from microsoft for a long time, and this gives me the chance. But I can't have Linux as my primary system if I can't get the hardware acceleration going to watch hulu without tearing and such.
Attached Files
File Type: log ddcprobe.log (1.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (64.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (216 Bytes, 59 views)
ProgrammerTim is offline   Reply With Quote