View Single Post
Old 08-03-10, 02:32 PM   #1
jimcanoa

Default No connected display devices on GeForce 310M with a Sony Vaio

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Sony Vaio S Series (model VPCS12C5E) with an nVidia GeForce 310M graphics card and I'm unable to make it work with Xorg.

I always get the same error which is:
Code:
[   619.410] (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 310M at PCI:1:0:0:
[   619.410] (--) NVIDIA(0):     none
Things I have tried:
  • Installing the arch linux nvidia package in an up-to-date Arch Linux x86_64 (driver version 256.35-1) with Xorg 1.8.1
  • Downloading the nVidia drivers from nVidia (version 256.35) and compiling them by hand with Xorg 1.8.1
  • Installing another Arch Linux x86_64 frozen to the 1st of June 2010, which has Xorg 1.7. And tried drivers: 185.18 and 256.44.
  • With the same frozen Arch Linux with Xorg 1.7 installing the arch linux nvidia package (190.53)
  • Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64. But it didn't work out of the box (blank screen). I didn't try to make that work since I'm not interested in using Ubuntu, but just wanted to check.

Questions:
  • Could this problem be related to the EDID file? Apparently it helped on another systems for other nVidia users. Trouble is I've read it's recommended to extract the EDID file with MS Windows, but I erased it from my computer, although I wouldn't mind reinstalling. Also, if solved by using a correct EDID file, will I be able to use dual monitors?
  • Should I try to make it work with Xorg 1.8 or Xorg 1.7? I've read it has support for Xorg 1.8, but in beta.
  • Is it possible that my graphics card is not fully supported?
  • Would it help to move to 32-bit OS?

Notes:
  • It does work with open source nv drivers, both in Xorg 1.8 and Xorg 1.7
  • I added the kernel option 'nomodeset' because otherwise the display goes off during boot up time (while loading udev).
  • nvidia-settings generates a xorg.conf file. Since that is not recommended anymore for Xorg 1.8 I ran the script but moved the relevant sections (monitor, device and screen) as generated by the script to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf. This applies only to Xorg 1.8.
  • The bug report I'm attaching corresponds to an up-to-date Arch Linux with Xorg 1.8 and downloaded drivers 256.35 installed with the nVidia installer (not with the Arch Linux package). I'm happy to submit the bug report with any other configuration.
  • I'm happy to try out anything! just tell me so and I will install/reinstall/uninstall whatever you suggest!

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (35.7 KB, 112 views)
jimcanoa is offline   Reply With Quote