View Single Post
Old 08-05-10, 07:39 AM   #1
terau

Default Boot problem with GTX 460

Hello guys,

I just bought Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb and it works great... when it boots from it...

My previous card was a ATI 4850 1GB, and that card didn't had any problems.

I have an AMD chipset (790GX/SB750) motherboard and it has onboard graphics (HD3300).

The problem is:

Each time I power on the PC, it either boots from the NVIDIA card, or from the ONBOARD graphics.

And it always goes like that:

#1 boot from NVIDIA (onboard disabled) - then I do a normal shutdown (either from Windows or case button, doesn't matter).
power on again --> #2 boots from onboard (nvidia disabled) shutdown...
#3 boots from NVIDIA (onboard disabled) ...
#4 boots from onboard (nvidia disabled) ...
#5 boots from NVIDIA (onboard disabled) ...
#6 boots from onboard (nvidia disabled) ...
and so on.

So each time I shutdown the PC, the next time I turn it on, it switches the booting VGA and the other card is unavailable.

If I do a full power cycle (completely turn off the PSU/Power for some seconds and turn on), on the exact next boot, it boots always from the nvidia card. After that the same switching-mania happens.

As I said this problem didn't exist in my previous card. The PC always booted from the 4850 and the onboard was completely disabled, always.

I have changed every possible setting in the BIOS and nothing worked.

There is no option to completely disable the onboard VGA, because the motherboard is supposed to do it automatically when a discrete card is in, and it did in the previous cards.

There is however an option to choose the VGA to boot from. The options are PCI, PCI-EXPRESS, ONBOARD. The problem appears when the options are either PCI or PCI-EXPRESS.

In the case of the "onboard" option, it always boots succesfully from the onboard card, but the nvidia card also works, but as a secondary graphics card (hd3300, primary bios+windows, gtx460 windows only)

I am out of ideas, and I don't think that my VGA is faulty, and this is probably an incompatibility issue between the nvidia card and the amd chipset?

When the PC boots from the nvidia card, it works perfectly. I have done multi-hour gaming, benchmarks, everything works great with zero problems. The GPU switching is the only problem.

Note: a simple restart/reboot doesn't switch cards.

The problem is unrelated to Windows or Drivers, because if I shutdown the PC in the bios boot screen (before even loading windows) and then power it on again, it once again switches cards.

It seems to me that the card does not power off properly, with the result to be unavailable on immediate next boot or something like that.

I am asking here, if anyone has experience with nvidia cards on AMD Chipset (probably with onboard graphics). I have already submitted problem reports to motherboard and video card manufacturer, but I think the problem here is some kind of incompatibility.

Anyone has any similar experience?
terau is offline   Reply With Quote