View Single Post
Old 09-30-02, 10:59 PM   #1
JoeJaz100

Default XF86COnifg-4 configuring and server crashes

I recently purchased a new Athalon XP 2200+ system with a GeForce 4 TI 4600 and have installed RedHat 7.3 on it. Red Hat runs fine in vesa mode, but I can't cofigure the XF86Config-4 file correctly... at least I think that is the problem. I used an rpm version of NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i686.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm. I followed the Nvidia helpfile as best as I could, but I still have no luck. I am thinking that I am missing a command in the /etc/modules.conf file to load the nvidia driver, but I don't know for sure. When I make the changes in my XF86Config-4 file (ie commenting out the "GLore" and "dri" modules, inserting the "glx" module, and inserting the "nvidia" driver line in the Graphics Device Section as indicated by the documentation), and start X, the server crashes and says that my screens are causing a problem. I have gotten a GeForce2 Go work on a Dell Laptop, so I know that it shouldn't be too bad to install the drivers for my new system. However, none of the documentation that I can find has resolved my problem so far. I really don't want to have to run X in framebuffer mode when I have the power of a GeForce 4 at my disposal. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very greatful. Attached is a copy of my XF86Config-4 file with my /etc/modules.conf file appended to the end. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf.txt (4.1 KB, 167 views)