View Single Post
Old 08-25-10, 07:15 PM   #3
bootstrap

Default Re: how to install nvidia drivers on ubuntu 64-bit 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Try this. https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

If I was you I'd just install the new nVIDIA driver and disable the updates, since they have Xorg driver bleed edge updates as well.
Sorry, but I'm confused.

I went to the webpage you mentioned, and performed the steps they suggested, which were to enter the following two lines in a terminal window:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates (or whatever was noted above)
sudo apt-get update

After I did that, I looked in the /etc/apt/sources.list file and found it had not changed. In other words, it did not contain the following two lines (which were given as the alternate method for ubuntu before the 9.10 release.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu lucid main
(then execute "sudo apt-get update")

So I also added the above two files to the /etc/apt/sources.list file and executed the update.

I didn't seem to get any errors, but everything happened much to quickly to have installed all that software. Therefore, I suspect I need to take other actions too (not described on the website as far as I can tell) --- but I have no idea what those actions might be.

Can you tell me what else I need to do... to get the latest-and-greatest of these installed:
nvidia driver and all the development headers, [shared] libraries and utilities)
XWindows (including xlib headers, [shared] libraries and utilities)
OpenGL (including gl.h, glx.h, glext.h, glxext.h, etc)

I also didn't understand your comment about just installing the nvidia driver but not the XWindows stuff and not getting updates.

Can you explain more fully? And do these processes avoid the need for me to get into single user console/terminal mode to install the nvidia driver and related headers/libraries/utilities?

Also, how do I even know which "brand" of XWindows server I have on my system? It is my understanding that some of them are much slower than others, and not very capable of supporting the speed the nvidia drivers are capable of.

LATER: Oh, when I execute "Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center" I see an entry in the left pane called "X Updates", which is probably due to the steps I took. In the right pane are the packages in that "package set" (or whatever those PPA thingies are called). It appears to me that I need to select the following two items:

nvidia binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library (nvidia-current)
nvidia binary Xord driver development files (nvidia-current-dev)

But I wonder whether I need to deselect (uninstall) the currently installed equivalents, which I assume are the following (since they are check-marked as "installed"):

nvidia binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library (nvidia-173)
modaliases for the nvidia binary X.Org driver (nvidia-173-modaliases)

I also note that somehow (I didn't do it explicitly), the following is check-marked:

Modaliases for the nvidia binary X.Org driver (nvidia-current-modaliases)

I also note some oddball things are checked (since I have an quad-core AMD CPU but nvidia (not ATI/AMD) graphics, including:

X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper (xserver-xorg-video-ati)
X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

-----

I didn't deselect/uninstall anything, but I did select/install the two (?or three?) that I mentioned above (the "nvidia-current..." items).

Is this going to get all the latest and greatest Xlib and OpenGL headers, [shared] libraries and utilities installed too? I need the latest versions of these because I'm developing a high-performance 3D graphics engine/server, and I need (at least) OpenGL 3.20 support... and soon OpenGL 4.10 support.

After I rebooted, I found and ran an nvidia application... which said the driver is still 173.xxx, not the new 256.xxx version I supposedly installed. Oops! Now, what did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand what the yonk I'm doing... or should be doing.

Last edited by bootstrap; 08-25-10 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add more information and steps
bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote