View Single Post
Old 09-01-10, 09:10 AM   #1
MadCatX

Default Xorg high CPU usage on scrolling and moving windows

Hello,

For the last few days I've been experiencing quite odd behavior regarding Xorg. Xorg seems to use about 70 % of CPU when I scroll through a document in Kate, webpage in Opera etc. In KSysGuard I can see that both of my CPU cores have over 50% load. When the system is idling, Xorg uses from 1 % to 8 % CPU. Moving windows exhibits the same behavior.
This happens regardless to compositing or window manager. I tried KWin and OpenBox in KDE 4.5, I also tried running just plain X with TWM, but the problem remains. The problem initially appeared with Xorg-server 1.8.1 and 256.44 drivers, update to 256.53 and Xorg-server 1.9 didn't change a thing. I also tried downgrading to 2.6.34.6 kernel to no avail.
I'm currently running Xorg-server 1.8.1, 256.53 drivers and 2.6.35.4 kernel with BFS and BFQ.

There is another rather strange issue with MPlayer and VDPAU which might not be related. If I play a clip encoded in H264 using VDPAU and HW accel, X uses about 30% CPU (sometimes as much as 50%) when compositing is enabled. Disabling compositing makes X to drop below 5%. MPlayer uses about 5 % CPU all the time. I'm sure I didn't have this issue before.

When interpreting my CPU load percentages, please note that I have a dual-core CPU and I don't use dividing the load by the number of cores, so both cores at full load would read as 200% usage in my case.

My HW conf:
Core2 T9550 2.66GHz
GF 9800M GTS
4GB RAM
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (31.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (19.4 KB, 73 views)
MadCatX is offline   Reply With Quote