View Single Post
Old 09-12-10, 10:30 PM   #26
Ninja Prime

Default Re: GTS450s at newegg, go get'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Ah but NP, it's still a WAY better buy than the 5770 even if the performance is only the same and the price is the same.

Are all the websites cheering ATi's scaling and multi GPU compatibility? No, they're lauding NVIDIA's multi GPU.

Can you accelerate Adobe CS with ATi? Nope.

Run a multitude of GPGPU apps? No.

Play your MafiaII (and other games) in optomized 3d? No.

Use AA in games like Batman AA? Nope.

Use cool PhysX effects in many games to increase immersion? No again.

ATi cards should cost a lot less because they give you so much less.
Thats a rather sad list considering the card we are talking about, but I'll bite:

#1: All the sites you selectively went through and picked out are using the wrong drivers/app profile, indeed, HardOCP has a retraction of its review as I recall. With the right driver/app profile crossfire scaling is actually slightly better. You can read about it at B3D. This point is moot really because for the $260 you spend on SLI 450s you could have bought a nice overclocking 460 or better yet a 5850 for $254, on newegg.

#2: No one who paid $1900 for Adobe CS buys a $129 non-professionial video card to develop with.

#3: Being that ATI Stream and CTM existed long before CUDA and had apps before NV could run anything GPGPU, I'd guess they have similar amounts of apps, indeed, some people have apps running fine on ATI that they can't get to work very well on NV chips. I'm sure the opposite is true in some cases, but the point is both work fine and have a ton of apps, which probably 95% of the market doesn't care about anyway.

#4: You can't run MafiaII in 3D on a GTS450 either, unless you like slideshows.

#5: Meh. NV spent time and money to get AA working in one game, while excluding the competition, Intel tactics, while they make cartoons about how mean Intel is with thier tactics. /shrug

#6: See number 4, you can't run physx and get good framerates with a GTS450 in anything.

ATI costs less because they have a better, more efficent design. They nearly match NV current high end with almost half the power and half the die area. Hence they can make them cheaper.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote