View Single Post
Old 10-11-10, 03:27 PM   #1
yamaha200

Default GT220 hdmi audio help needed

I have been attempting to follow the XBMC wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_s...20%2C_or_GT240) to get audio out over hdmi working without success. Any suggestions appreciated.

-I have a galaxy GT220, I'm running ubuntu (mythbuntu) on a Dell Vostro 200, kernel version 2.6.27-14

-nvidia-settings reports my driver version as 256.53. Video over hdmi is working fine (i'm currently setup with cloned displays out the hdmi and dvi ports)

-I used the alsa upgrade script to update to 1.0.23, alsamixer reports I am indeed running 1.0.23. It is my understanding that this version of the alsa drivers should not require any additional patches and the stock release should support this card, correct?

-the linux-backports-module is not installed (and never was that I can tell)

-I have disabled my onboard sound card in the bios

-my user is in the audio group

-I am using the suggested settings in /etc/asound.conf and have no other .asoundrc files anywhere on the system

Now for the interesting part...

I have tried all possible combinations of using enable_msi=0 (or omitting it) along with all possible combinations of probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2 (or only one or the other or neither). Also tried no options at all. In all cases, aplay -l reports either that no sound cards were found, or all 4 of the nvidia hdmi:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

From what I have seen, it seems that it is necessary to get it down to a single device using the probe_mask before things will work correctly? Ideas what I am doing wrong that I can only get 0 or 4?

Using aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav, I get no messages, it appears to play and run for a couple seconds before returning to the prompt, but no noise. I have tried all combinations of 1,3 (or 7,8,9) and plughw vs hw. No sound on any of them. I do get errors on using hw rather than plughw.

In alsamixer, I can see the card, and it shows that it has 4 S/PDIF outputs. All of them are unmuted. There does not appear to be any sort of volume indicator for any of them, which seems odd to me. I thought there should be some iec958s in addition to/instead of S/PDIF but maybe I'm confused there?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
laura
yamaha200 is offline   Reply With Quote