View Single Post
Old 10-16-10, 08:02 AM   #7
kauos

Default Re: Multiseat dualhead with 2 SCREENs

It IS possible, but it is a little bit fiddly.

I have a single Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP, with a standard VGA connector, DVI-d connector, and a TV-OUT connector.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on an AMD Athlon 2700+ 32bit.

My particular solution required the VGA and the TV-OUT to have a separate X instance each (I'm running a Freevo DVR alongside a standard X session).

The key for me was that I start both servers as close to instantaneously as possible.

Get your xorg.conf file to the point where you can start each seat one at a time.

Then the following shell scripts will wait until both are run before then starting both X servers at the same time.

MultiSeat0
Code:
#!/bin/bash

LOCAL_FLAG="/tmp/syncro_flag_0"
REMOTE_FLAG="/tmp/syncro_flag_1"

touch $LOCAL_FLAG
chmod 777 $LOCAL_FLAG

while [ ! -f $REMOTE_FLAG ]
do
 echo "Waiting for $REMOTE_FLAG"
done

rm $REMOTE_FLAG

/usr/bin/xinit -- /usr/bin/X :0 -sharevts -layout seat0

MultiSeat1
Code:
#!/bin/bash

LOCAL_FLAG="/tmp/syncro_flag_1"
REMOTE_FLAG="/tmp/syncro_flag_0"

touch $LOCAL_FLAG
chmod 777 $LOCAL_FLAG

while [ ! -f $REMOTE_FLAG ]
do
 echo "Waiting for $REMOTE_FLAG"
done

rm $REMOTE_FLAG

/usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/freevo -- /usr/bin/X :1 -sharevts -layout seat1

It is not perfect. There is a thin line (about 5 pixels) at the top of screen 0 which contains corrupted pixels. But apart from that it works and appears stable so far.

Yes I could have used Xephyr (but the touchscreen support tended to crash, something that this native multi-seat solution fixes).

I could probably have used Userful as well, but they didn't have support for Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit version. Also Userful is not guaranteed to work with the TV-OUT according to their support.... but then again according to NVidia, this solution isn't supposed to work either.
kauos is offline   Reply With Quote