View Single Post
Old 10-25-10, 04:51 PM   #5
dgp

Unhappy Re: GTX460 crashes/hangs Xorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkonnen View Post
I got ASUS ENGTX460 a couple of weeks ago and having a stability problem with it on Linux

Xorg segfaults (typical nvidia-bug-report.log.gz attached) or just hangs with 100% CPU load, either way monitor goes "no signal" and system stops responding to keyboard input. I can access system via ssh, but killing/restarting xorg doesnt restore control from console/monitor output. This may happen like 1 hour after boot or 20 hours after boot by itself, but using ctrl-alt-Fx is almost guaranteeing immediate crash. Exact messages in logs varies from crash to crash, but there is always "NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!" some time before the crash/hang. I tried every driver from 256.44 onward, the only differences is that with 256.xx it mostly hangs and with 260.xx its mostly segfaults. Problem is 100% within linux gtx460 driver, because swapping gtx460 for my old gt9600 cures all problems, and i can play games in windows on gtx460 without problems too.
I have exactly the same behaviour with my Quadro FX 3600M, "fortunately", only with 260.19.12 (with 256.53 this problem is not present). It doesn't matter if I use compositing or not, or KDE/Gnome.

P.S. I removed the thousands of repeating messages because the file was above 140 KB.

I forgot to mention that I have similar behaviour with the same hardware with Windows 7 x64 and 260.89 - I get the login screen and when I login I hear that the windows beeps with an error and the nothing happens. The problem is again not present with 256. Unfortunately, I don't have time to diagnose the problem in windows.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (24.8 KB, 80 views)
dgp is offline   Reply With Quote