View Single Post
Old 10-26-10, 05:21 AM   #11
Wolfgang Klein

Default Re: Two different cards in one machine -> need two different drivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Wolfgang Klein, driver installation options you've listed are all meaningless.
So what are they for after all?

Quote:
So, the solution I gave you is the only possible or you can buy another identical GPU.
I am trying to get one of this this drivers to work, but there are still some problems I have not been able to solve yet:
  • nv can't find a valid mode line because it doesn't recognize the memory on the FX 5500 correctly: only 2048kB are recognized, even if I use Option "VideoRAM" "262144"
  • vesa somehow interferes with the nvidia driver for the second card and produces are glitches and disturbances
  • nouveau somehow doesn't recognize the card at all, but I haven't tried all options yet.

Regarding nouveau: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TroubleShooting states the nouveau and the nvidia driver don't work together. Maybe that's the reason why I can't get is to work?

Quote:
So, the solution I gave you is the only possible or you can buy another identical GPU.
I really thought about this, but as I told JaXXoN, this is not going to be easy: the 8000 series is not available for AGP and the FX5000 is not available for PCI-Express. So I would have to by 2 new cards, a model that comes in both flavours. This model would also have to be equipped with passive cooling only (no fan), because the machine has to stay silent. Do you know of such a model?
Wolfgang Klein is offline   Reply With Quote