View Single Post
Old 11-05-10, 01:49 PM   #1
Glajvect

Default 260.19.12 black screen on GTX 465, Ubuntu 10.04 64

Here's an attempt to relate my own experiences with the latest driver. I've tried to make it as detailed as possible, and hopefully you can stand to read through it all.

I recently put together a machine with an EVGA GTX 465 (s/n 01g-p3-1467-ar), and have not had any success getting this card working in Ubuntu. To install the drivers, I used the Hardware Drivers application in Ubuntu, after adding the ubuntu-x-swat PPA to my software sources. From what I have read, this should properly install the latest drivers.

When X starts, the screen goes black, and will often shift into power-saving mode (lost signal), and then return again to a black screen. Sometimes this cycle repeats several times. Every once in a while, I will get what look like text-mode rectangle/box characters spread on the screen. Sometimes they have color, sometimes they blink. The system becomes completely unresponsive from the keyboard at this point: ctrl+alt+del doesn't work, and neither do the SysRq combos. Curiously, I've been able to ctrl+alt+del out of the older drivers. In any case, I am able to log in via another machine over SSH and reboot that way.

It's hard to say if this is the same sort of issue other folks have been having or not: I've been entirely unable to get the card to load using any number of different combinations of hacks, whereas others have claimed that they had theirs working at least at one point. At least one other 465 user running 195.36.24 has it working (http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...p?product=4466). I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) 64-bit, but I originally installed 10.10 64-bit without any success, either. So far, I've attempted these "workarounds":
- Manually-installed other, older drivers, including 195.36.24, 195.36.31, 256.35, 256.53. These have all been uninstalled prior to trying the latest.
- Using X updates from the ubuntu-x-swat PPA
- Tried both kernel 2.6.32-25 and 2.6.36 from the Kernel PPA
- Uninstalled, blacklisted nouveau; used both nomodeset kernel parameter and "options nouveau modeset=0" in a modprobe.d config.
- Blacklisted vga16fb (grasping at straws here...)
- Probably some other magical voodoo hacks that I simply lost track of.

The card appears to work in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit using the 258.96 drivers, although admittedly I haven't stressed the card more than Half-Life 1 for about 30 minutes of play.

Other than the EVGA GTX 465, I am running:
Mainboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
RAM: 2 x 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (running 7-7-7-24 at 1.65v)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970 (stock -- no tweaks here).
PSU: Corsair TX750 W
HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD1002FAEX 6.0Gb/s in RAID 1/AES-XTS encrypted/LVM; 1 x 160GB Seagate (forgot the exact model -- it's the windows drive)
Optical drive: Lite-On IHAS424-98

I have also attached the output of nvidia-bug-report after the latest attempt to run X (using the 2.6.36 kernel, boot to single user mode, telinit 3, start ssh server, then startx -- -logverbose 6).

Never had any problems with Nvidia cards in Linux in the past. In fact, they always worked so easily, especially compared with pulling my hair out trying to get the ATI cards running. Now I've been stuck with the VESA driver for a while and naturally it's very disappointing. I don't believe the card to be defective, so is this card simply too new? Hasn't it been supported for at least a few months now? I'm aware that this latest driver release has some regressions, but I'm curious why I can't even get the older drivers working! Is this just a matter of waiting around for the N-th driver revision until the card is supported?

Thanks for reading and any input provided.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (85.1 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Glajvect; 11-06-10 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Fixed copy/paste mischief
Glajvect is offline   Reply With Quote