Originally Posted by slaWter
Overclocking a graphics card is useless, the gain is minimal.
It never makes the difference if a game is playable or not.
I really didn't think you would be the type to say something like that.
I have so many examples that contradict that statement, but I'll just use a few, using personal experience.
- Overclocking a Geforce 6600 Non Ultra allows it to play Doom 3 @ 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768.
- Overclocking a Geforce 7800 GS allows the user to enjoy 2xAA in UT3 as opposed to 0x.
- Overclocking an HD 3850 gets rid of the too-low minimum framerates when things get really crazy in Lost Planet in DX 10.1 mode with fur on.
- Overclocking an HD 4850 allows you to either turn 2xAA on or turn shadows up to medium @ 1280x720 in Bad Company 2 with all other options at their highest, @ 4x AF, DX10 mode, HBAO on.
- Overclocking an HD 4870 allows for 4xAA, 16xAF in Bad Company 2.
- Overclocking an HD 5830 allows you to move up a whole IQ setting in Metro 2033.
- Overclocking the GTX 580 will most certainly allow me to use DOF with GPU physX on along with the Ultra High IQ setting in Metro 2033.
Overclocking is a lot of fun, it's a fun and sometimes competitive exercise, and yes, it definitely does make games playable when at stock settings they might not be.