View Single Post
Old 11-15-10, 10:43 AM   #15
Slytat

Default Re: The GTX580 overclocking thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
I really didn't think you would be the type to say something like that.

I have so many examples that contradict that statement, but I'll just use a few, using personal experience.

• Overclocking a Geforce 6600 Non Ultra allows it to play Doom 3 @ 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768.
  • Overclocking a Geforce 7800 GS allows the user to enjoy 2xAA in UT3 as opposed to 0x.
  • Overclocking an HD 3850 gets rid of the too-low minimum framerates when things get really crazy in Lost Planet in DX 10.1 mode with fur on.
  • Overclocking an HD 4850 allows you to either turn 2xAA on or turn shadows up to medium @ 1280x720 in Bad Company 2 with all other options at their highest, @ 4x AF, DX10 mode, HBAO on.
  • Overclocking an HD 4870 allows for 4xAA, 16xAF in Bad Company 2.
  • Overclocking an HD 5830 allows you to move up a whole IQ setting in Metro 2033.
  • Overclocking the GTX 580 will most certainly allow me to use DOF with GPU physX on along with the Ultra High IQ setting in Metro 2033.

Overclocking is a lot of fun, it's a fun and sometimes competitive exercise, and yes, it definitely does make games playable when at stock settings they might not be.
Even though I did qualify my previous statement, I'll just make my point again. It doesn't make a difference in my case and that's because I'm running SLI 580s (and 480s before that).

A lot of the things you posted are highly subjective IMHO because as you said, it's personal experience, which is exactly what I said in my first post, my experiences with overclocking video cards never yield dramatic results although, I haven't used one card since SLI was introduced so I rarely experience scenarios that require any overclocking.

I just wanted to be clear that I am not dissing overclocking video cards or those who choose to do it
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote