View Single Post
Old 11-17-10, 12:30 PM   #1
hobbiticus

Default GT430 + 260.19.21 + VDPAU = artifacts

When I play back video using the "2x advanced" deinterlacer (have not tried others yet) with VDPAU, I get some bad artifacts. Areas in the video that are very dark will turn into a splotchy white. It's almost as if the color value for the pixels are underflowing and wrapping around to bright colors. The "white" areas look much like "snow" static on analog TVs - white noise made up of random areas of black and random areas of white that changes each frame.

These artifacts did not appear with my old 8800GT with an older driver version using the same players, and I know that the artifacts are not inherently present in the videos. The artifacts showed up in both the MythTV internal player and in xine. This leads me to believe that it's a driver problem.

Any video with black or near-black areas can be used to reproduce this.

I am running Debian Lenny on a custom 2.6.36 (preempt) kernel. As mentioned in the title, I'm using a GT 430 and driver version 260.19.21 (the only driver version that supports this card).

Also, playback seems to switch quite frequently between double framerate and normal framerate. It could be because the card doesn't quite have enough power to keep up or it could be a driver issue as well. I haven't had much time to fiddle with it yet.

I don't have debug logs yet, but I'll post them as soon as I get the time to make them.
hobbiticus is offline   Reply With Quote