View Single Post
Old 12-07-10, 07:22 AM   #3
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

A Look at NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 570

The GeForce GTX 570 is now set to do to the GTX 470 what the GTX 580 did to the GTX 480. Say that five times fast! Given that this new GF110 variant is for a lower price point than the GTX 580 (starting at $349), it's understandable that some features have been culled.

Memory interface is cut from 384-bit to 320-bit, VRAM is decreased to 1280 MB, CUDA cores have (again?) been cut down to 480, thereby lowering fillrate and performance by what appears to be a small amount. On paper, the GTX 570 look a lot like the GTX 480 in many respects, falls short on a few specs such as number of ROPs and memory amount and interface, but as expressed earlier in this writing, given that it makes use of a "Fermi Done Right" GPU, it's likely to be cooler, quieter, less power hungry, and more efficient in its performance. Besides, the GTX 570 is a replacement for the GTX 470, not the 480, and when you look at those two side by side, it's readily apparent that we're about to see some favorable results, given that everything goes right with respect of NVIDIA's execution of their goals for the GTX 570, both in software and hardware.

Happy Holidays from NVIDIA?
NVIDIA has kindly supplied nV News with a GTX 570 reference card. However, they sent this GPU to me with holiday spirit in mind. Upon removal from the shipping box I was greeted with a classy-looking NVIDIA box that had a “holiday gift” look to it, embossed with large snowflakes with the idea twisted a bit via use of NVIDIA Green. Inside was the GPU, a high-quality printed GTX 570 Review Guide, a 5x7 card stock letter from NVIDIA with some of the obligatory reviewer's information, a holiday card from NVIDIA, and a GTX “Tank” t-shirt (which I'll show at a later time when I hold a small contest, as I'd like to give it to the nV News community).

This was a nice way for NVIDIA to thank their technical writers for the work they put into the GPU reviews, and on my end it is sincerely appreciated. Happy Holidays right back at you, NVIDIA!

Moving onto the card itself, the GeForce GTX 570 is equipped with two DVI ports as well as a mini-HDMI port, and has two SLI interfaces which supports up to Tri-SLI. This video card is 10.5” long, the same length as the GTX 580. Honestly I think everything is almost exactly the same physically on this card as the GTX 580, except for less GDDR5 VRAM and (importantly) a less-needy power-connector requirement; only requiring two six-pin connectors, whereas the GTX 580 required an eight and a six pin connectors as seen below.

Here's the GTX 570 next to a GTX 580. Almost identical on the outside, except for the key difference in the power connectors.

Under the shroud is the same vapor chamber heatsink design used on the GTX 580. Exactly. Here are two pictures taken by NVIDIA (which are just a bit better than mine, although I did modify these a bit) which show GF110 without the shroud, as well as a closeup of the vapor chamber cooling system.

It's hard to tell which of NVIDIA's optimizations helped the most in keeping the GTX 580's temperatures down, but whatever the case, the cooling solution has not been criticized, as it is a part of a larger system of components and technologies working together to make GF110 cooler and quieter. I didn't feel compelled to open up this reference card, as I knew I would just see pretty much exactly what I saw with the GTX 580, so I'll keep it sealed up during this review. Let's look at EVGA's GTX 570.

Article Index/Navigation

Previous: Introduction
Next: EVGA's GeForce GTX 570 SuperClocked

1. Title/Contents/Review Goal
  2. Introduction
  3. A Look at NVIDIA's GTX 570
  4. EVGA's GTX 570 SuperClocked
  5. Testing Environment
  6. Performance Results - Gaming Tests
  7. Performance Results - Synthetic Benchmarks
  8. Overclocking, Temperature & Noise Comments
  9. Conclusion