View Single Post
Old 12-07-10, 07:25 AM   #6
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Performance Results

Gaming Tests

Metro 2033 (THQ)

This heavily system-intensive benchmark was tested using an average of three runs of the
in-game benchmark in DX11 mode (with tessellation ON)at 1920x1080, 16x AF with both
available Antialiasing options (4xAA and AAA), in several different settings configurations.
Note: GPU PhysX was set to auto-select.

Setting A: Quality: Very High; Advanced PhysX: Enabled; DOF: Enabled
Setting B: Quality: High; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; DOF: Disabled

4xAA:

AAA:

Comments:
Both of the GTX 570s offer a similar gameplay experience to the GTX 580, although both of
them inch farther away from playability in setting A. It's also good to see the minimum
framerates being so similar to the extremely robust GTX 580. Remember, the GTX 580 costs
around 40% more than the GTX 570, so if the GTX 570s keep this trend up of performing
around 88-90% of their bigger brother, we might just have a bang-for-the-buck on our
hands. The EVGA SuperClocked card only offers marginally better performance than the
reference unit.

Lost Planet 2 (Capcom)

Utilizing the MT Framework engine, Lost Planet 2 has continued the cutting-edge graphical
qualities introduced with the previous game in the series, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.
Previous NV News reviews have utilized other MT Framework titles (the aforementioned Lost
Planet 1 and Resident Evil 5), but the DirectX 11 features of this new title make it a must
for any modern DX11 GPU review.

Benchmarking Test: Test B, Motion Blur: On, Shadow Detail: High, Texture Detail: High,
Rendering Level: High, DirectX 11 Features: High, Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

Comments:
The EVGA GTX 570 SC showed its tessellation muscle in this test and pulled a good bit
closer to the GTX 580. Again, this GPU is putting on a good showing despite its slightly
cut-down specs, with even the reference-clocked GTX 570 pulling almost 40 FPS in this
test with 32x CSAA enabled. That's some serious AA, and some serious performance.

Aliens Vs. Predator (SEGA)

This DirectX 11 title (and its benchmark) makes use of adaptive tessellation techniques and
advanced shadowing. The first time I saw this run-through, I was convinced that a video
game could finally do HR Giger's design justice. Settings:

Texture Quality: 3, Shadow Quality: 3, Anisotropic Filtering: 16, SSAO: 1, DX11
Tessellation: On, DX11 Advanced Shadows: On

Comments:
Although this title doesn't try to overload the GPU with tessellation, there is enough in use
(as well as advanced shadowing) to stress any newer GPU. With a lot going on on-screen,
it's good to see that all three of these cards hang around the same performance grade.
The EVGA card seems to be trying to split the difference between the reference speed GTX
570 and the GTX 580, but can't quite get there. That's not to say that its performance
isn't impressive though.

Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 (UBI)

Using some of the most advanced hardware-based tessellation techniques of any game, the
eagerly anticipated sequel to HAWX places you back in the pilot seat for more aerial
excitement. The tessellation applied to terrain gives this game a unique look, and despite
the fact that the world goes by so quickly in a jet airplane the sometimes-subtle
improvement in visual fidelity sometimes adds up with other graphical enhancements to
make this new title look quite a bit nicer than its predecessor.

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x, Terrain Tessellation: On, View Distance: High, Environment: High,
Texture Quality: High, Postprocessing: On, Depth of Field: On, Particle Density: High,
Shadows: On

Comments:
Even with 32x CSAA enabled, all of these cards manhandle HAWX 2. I'm beginning to think
that even the $349 "base model" reference-speed GTX 570s could serve well doing 1080p
3d Vision gaming.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 SP(EA/DICE)

This is somewhat of a first-generation DX11 title in that it doesn't use tessellation, but the
usage of DX11 soft shadows is noteworthy. Again, I tested a multitude of AA settings to
see what kind of performance hit is incurred in this popular title.

First mission from shoreline (knife) to minefield, INI file tweak: FOV: 78, Level of Detail:
High, Texture Quality: High, Shadow Quality: High, Effects Quality: High, Anisotropic
Filtering: 16x, HBAO: On

Comments:
In this game, the EVGA SC separates itself from the reference card and performs ten
percentage points better, but it's certainly still worth mentioning that the reference card
could still pull 60 FPS with 32x CSAA enabled.

Far Cry 2 (UBI)

It seems like this games has been a benchmark staple forever. Although the game itself has
received mixed reviews for its long and drawn out sandbox gameplay, its visuals are still
top-notch, and it did prove to be fairly comparable to Crysis.

I utilized the Far Cry 2 benchmarking tool which helps create repeatable benchmark runs of
different settings. I evaluated three different AA settings. In previous tests of Far Cry 2 I
had specified an AF setting, but in reading the review guide, NVIDIA said that AF settings
don't apply properly to the benchmarking tool, so it's best for AF to be set to Application
Preference in the NVIDIA Control Panel. If you the reader have any feedback on my take on
this, please discuss it in the nV News forums.

Demo(Ranch Small), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(Yes), Full
Screen, Vsync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High),
Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra
High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High),
RealTrees(Very High)

Comments:
This game still taxes systems heavily when a lot is happening on the screen at once. Again,
the EVGA's added bandwidth gives it a solid lead over the reference card. What was
pleasantly surprising that the minimum framerates weren't very low for the reference card,
though, despite the fact that Demo (Ranch Small) usually likes to create some wild
framerate swings.

Gameplay Conclusion:
Aside from the six titles mentioned above, I did get to try some other games out with the
GTX 570s, such as Call of Duty: Black Ops, which runs great at 1920x1080 with 4x AA, and
ijji Games' Alliance of valiant Arms, an Unreal Engine game which ran beautifully with large
amounts of AA as well. the point of what I'm saying is that the GTX 570, and to even more
of a degree the EVGA SuperClocked 570 basically game just like a GTX 580. As a user of a
GTX 580 and after having gotten used to one, going to the 570s involved no sacrifice in
image quality to keep framerates up.

That being said, as far as 2D-monitor 1920x1080 gaming is concerned, the GTX 570 should
be a top choice, and the EVGA SC model should be one of the models taken into
consideration.

Article Index/Navigation

Previous: Testing Environment
Next: Synthetic Benchmark Performance

1. Title/Contents/Review Goal
  2. Introduction
  3. A Look at NVIDIA's GTX 570
  4. EVGA's GTX 570 SuperClocked
  5. Testing Environment
  6. Performance Results - Gaming Tests
  7. Performance Results - Synthetic Benchmarks