View Single Post
Old 12-07-10, 08:27 AM   #9
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Overclocking, Temperatures & Noise Comments

Overclocking

I wanted to see how much closer the EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked could get to GTX 580-level performance. In games and synthetic benchmarks it did around 88-96% as good, and it stood to reason that a decent overclock would close the gap. So I tested Heaven, 3DMark 11, Lost Planet 2 and Far Cry 2 so I could get a wide range of rendering methods and get a broad perspective on the capabilities of this new Fermi (done right) card. Using EVGA Precision and OC Scanner, I tested some clock speeds, and settled on what appears to be an overclock that borders between modest and aggressive, 860/1720 core, 2300/4600 for the memory. I did not alter voltages, I simply adjusted clock speeds. Results are as follows:

Comments:
I'lll keep this short, because it really doesn't require much: The EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked has the capability to deliver $499 GTX 580 performance - for a lot less, and can also likely handle gaming at higher resolutions such as 2560x1440 or 3D Vision at 1920x1080. ... I think that covers it.

Temperatures & Noise:

Just as the GTX 580 was a treat (especially vs. GF100 cards) in the temperature department, the GTX 570 cards follow that lead to a "T". As a matter of fact my temperatures were indistinguishable from the GTX 580. With the default fan profile, both of the GTX 570s idled at 39-42 degrees, and under heavy load during gaming temperatures were in the 79-84 mark, once again while roaming around in Stone Giant. The temperatures can also likely be attributed once again to the GF110's vapor chamber cooler.

For what it's worth, EVGA is making a new fan profile available to purchasers of the GTX 570 SC that allows for fan adjustments between 30 and 100% as opposed to the 40-80% adjustability of the reference design. This could make for quieter and/or cooler operation.

While we're on the subject of fans, I might as well mention that while using the reference fan profile on both cards, they were pretty much unnoticeable. I did have my GTX 460 plugged in for a little while over the last few days, and I honestly didn't notice any difference when I had one of the GF110 cards plugged in. In other words, good job on the fan/cooler/fan profiles design, NVIDIA. I'm very glad that the loud Fermi (such as the GTX 465 I used for a while) has been replaced by a quieter one.

Article Index/Navigation

Previous: Synthetic Benchmark Performance
Next: Conclusion

1. Title/Contents/Review Goal
  2. Introduction
  3. A Look at NVIDIA's GTX 570
  4. EVGA's GTX 570 SuperClocked
  5. Testing Environment
  6. Performance Results - Gaming Tests
  7. Performance Results - Synthetic Benchmarks
  8. Overclocking, Temperature & Noise Comments
  9. Conclusion