View Single Post
Old 12-15-10, 08:39 AM   #38
MattDee

Default Re: Help with installing EVGA GeForce GTX 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanford View Post
Just make very sure the tech is putting a good quality 500W power supply in there (the amps deliverable on the 12V rails are more important than the wattage rating) and not cheap or generic junk. The PSU is critical to system stability.

The CPU will be your biggest concern at only 1.8 ghz, but it is a quad core Phenom and as such it has 128 bit wide SSE instructions, so should not be too bad. The motherboard is supposedly socket AM2+ so you might be able to put an Athlon II or Phenom II 940 in there. talk to your tech guy. It would be fairly easy to pick up another socket AM2+ motherboard anyhow and reuse everything but the cpu to put a better cpu in if you wanted to. Again talk to your tech guy, he should know how to do it.
I believe the 500 is a good one....and it has the 24 amps. we need, which like you said, is important.

I'll ask about the CPU and motherboard. These aren't things that would have to be done right away for stability, would they. Is it something we can wait on and see how performance is and do later? We have (or rather my son) no more money to spend on this right now.

Thanks!
MattDee is offline   Reply With Quote