View Single Post
Old 12-15-10, 02:01 PM   #19
Redeemed

Default Re: Help me choose a card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You need to read a review where the reviewer doesn't arbitrarily decide what settings are "playable" and they actually bench at the same settings. A 6970 does not "trade blows" with a 580, it's trades blows with a 570/480.

The 6970 is another testament to the failure that is VLIW arch. (e.g. Itanium, FX5800)

Yes, a 6970 does have 3X the SPs as a GTX570, strike anyone else as "odd" it's the same level of performance? Compiler efficiency and the inherent limitations with instructions depending on the results of other instructions. AMDs GPUs may be smaller, but in terms of SPs sitting idle, they're VERY inefficient.

In any case, I can't think of a reason why anyone would pay $20 more for a 6970 and lock themselves out of PhysX, CUDA, and 3D Vision.
The 6970 in the HardOCP review was played at the exact same settings as the GTX580. Framerate was within 5 fps difference between the 6970 and 580. Granted, I've yet to read any other reviews so maybe with more titles the performance of the 6970 does change. I don't know. Just going of of [H]'s review, the 6970 does indeed trade blows with the 580. Read it if you don't believe me.

And as to PhysX, CUDA, and 3D Vision... there's aren't selling points for everybody. Not everyone has the money for 3D Vision. I've yet to see a game where PhysX is properly taken advantage of, and CUDA... almost useless for a strictly gaming rig. Maybe the OP has need of these features- maybe not. But you tout them so frequently... it's like you're convinced they're God's gift to mankind.

And you speak of efficiency? Look I'm no engineer but just going off of power consumption and die size the performance that AMD gets compared to nVidia is amazing. Not to mention how inexpensive the cards are. I'd wager AMD is far from selling them at cost. How much more do you really think nVidia could drop their prices before hitting cost? With that large a die-size... they don't have a lot of room to wiggle. More than with the GTX400 series of course... still not nearly as much as AMD. And you're the only person I've met referring to VLIW as innefficient. Everybody else seems to be convinced it's highly efficient. Then again, nVidia isn't using it so it must not be good... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR View Post
This is kind of how i feel, Ive owned Nvidia cards ever since i got my first gaming machine & bought GeForce 4 lol.

I just dont wanna regret the the swap. ... Ill be playing at 1920x1200 res BTW.
You wont regret the 6970... and considering they are the same price for you I'd got 6970. Just don't expect it to be like nVidia... the drivers are different, you'll have to get used to the different lay out and such. Other than that, you should be very pleased with the 6970.

Well, likely you'd be pleased with either card but for the money I'd say you're getting more with the 6970.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote