Quote:
Originally Posted by thecozz21 View Post
if this helps here is the build so far suggestions would be great
tower: AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 Black SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower
motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366
Processor: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
hard drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM
Primary cd/dvd drive: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
Okay, if you get a monitor with a native res of 1920 x 1200... the 5770 will likely be good for a year or so. As I've stated I can play every game I own maxed. Crysis 100% in-game options maxed, but no AA. Metro 2033 all in-game options maxed except Advanced DoF, but I can use some AA. AvP... 100% maxed w/ AA. BFBC2... 100% maxed with some AA. There aren't going to be any games coming out in the next year that I wont be able to max, at least that's how it appears to be shaping up. Not bad for a card that, shipped an after MIR was about $130.

Crysis 2... considering it's available on consoles, a heavily optimized engine, and going off of the latest trailers I've no doubt I'll be able to play it maxed as well.

If you jump up to the GTX460 I'd say for longevity go with a 1GB variant. Gonna' cost you more but you get the extra tessellation horsepower plus you'll have a large enough framebuffer for most games to be released in the next couple years.

Another option if you bump up into the GTX460 1GB price range, would be the Radeon 6850 or 6870. Both have a lot more tessellation power than the 5770, have 1GB framebuffer.

nVidia did silently release the GTX460 SE it appears. Has less shaders than the standard GTX460, but does have 1GB framebuffer. For the price that might be your card. Go with the e-VGA- lifetime warranty, free shipping, and only $139.99 after MIR. If this were available back when I was looking at 5770s and GTX460s, I'd likely have gotten the GTX460 SE. Should be a happy medium.

If you go with the standard GTX460 1GB with all shaders... that's gonna' put you near the $200 range. You might look into the Radeon 6850, or if you can spare and extra $50 then the Radeon 6870.

At this point it all boils down to you. Even if you go with the measely 5770, at 1920 x 1200 it should play any future titles well, likely for at least the next couple years. Like I said, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to play any title coming out within the next year maxed. After that I don't know, may have to start dropping some IQ settings. Or not. So far if I have had to sacrifice anything IQ related it's been AA. A faster GPU would help here, but so would a larger framebuffer. In short, anything from the Radeon HD5770 to the HD6870 (including all variants of the GTX460) will full-fill your needs. As for longevity that's hard to say. The Fermi based cards are stronger in tessellation, but that likely wont really be a benefit for another several years. By that time you'll likely have a new GPU I'd imagine.

Unfortunately we can't really make this decision for you. From what you described you'll be pleased with a 5770. But you'll also (and obviously) be pleased with anything above it as well. So it all boils down to how much money you feel like dishing out now. If you think you'll be buying a new GPU in 3 years or sooner, I'd say stick with the 5770 or GTX460 SE. If you would like to have more GPU power "just in case" then go with the GTX460, 6850, or 6870. In the "just in case" scenerio I'd urge you more towards the 6870 as that'll have the GPU and tessellation power for any game released in the next 3 years more than likely. This is a gamble and pure opinion yes, but look how long games have been DX9. I'm am *very* confident we will not see heavy use of tessellation until consoles can support. Same with PhysX and 3D. Until it's common on consoles it's not gonna' be heavily used in PC games. And we're probably a good year, if not two at least, till the next consoles come out. And a year after that till games are regularly pumped out properly utilizing their hardware. Which means at that time (up to three years from now at this point) we'll see more tessellation-heavy games.

Check some reviews. Consider what else you may use this computer for. Music creation? Movie editing? Might it benefit from more RAM? Why the velociraptor- why not an SSD? I'd probably recommend ditching the raptor as those are irrelevant with SSDs now. Get at least a 40GB SSD just for the OS- you'll notice a huge difference, trust me. Then a larger 500GB+ drive for storage of pictures, music, movies, games, apps, etc. 6GB of RAM should be good for a while... maybe consider 8GB or 12GB. It all depends on alternative uses for this computer.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote