View Single Post
Old 12-31-10, 04:46 AM   #14
bigwoof

Default Re: Bug Report: Hard crash (freeze) with nVidia GTX 460

fwiw, I am having similar problems with a GT430.

I get completely random lockups when using the binary drivers. these lockups hang the system completely (ssh is dead) and requires a hard power cycle.

memtest shows no errors after 26 hours of running (1st thing I checked).

My motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D-E LX. I've updated the bios to the latest version on the Asus website (one of the first things I tried). I thought it was the VT-D setting in the bios. but disabling it does not help. I am not overclocking anything. I've tried various bios options (disable audio, change AHCI mode to IDE, disable ethernet, etc.) and none of them fix the crash.

My CPU is an i5-760 and I'm using 4Gx2 1333 RAM. There is also a PVR-150 ivtv card in my system (for mythtv).

I've tried xubuntu 10.10 (maverick), xubuntu 11.4 (natty), debian unstable, ubuntu 11.4 (natty) (a fresh install in every case) and all of them have the same problems. So I don't think it is a gentoo-specific problem.

my symptoms are quite similar to what you are experiencing. The hardware seems fine as it works perfectly without the nvidia drivers loaded and passes a fairly long memtest.

other than the random system crashes (requiring a reboot. ssh is dead as well), the binary drivers actually worked quite well (hdmi audio worked, vdpau was nice, could get 1920x1080 output etc.)

I don't have the nvidia logs as I have not installed the binary driver in this current fresh install (ubuntu natty) just to make sure that the binary driver was the cause of the lockups. so far, no crashes yet.

Raj
bigwoof is offline   Reply With Quote