View Single Post
Old 01-07-11, 10:19 PM   #38
Muppet

Default Re: nVidia Press Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
I hate to agree here because I love my PC, but I think the assessment is right. PC's are probably on the way out in favor of smaller, more mobile parts. We've already been though the whole "bigger is better" phase in the US. Now, people are moving back towards much more sleek and efficient parts. Unfortunately, PC's aren't exactly known for efficiency. CPU's, by themselves, can use upwards of 130 watts (before overclocking). Now, we've got Graphics cards that use 300-watts or more. To put in perspective, my Acer laptop has a 65-watt power supply. The current technology on desktops is, in my opinion, sort of like a Hummer: Big, brutal, and not very environmentally friendly.

PC's do win on the customization front though. You'll probably never be able to fully customize a tablet down to the last component like you're able to do with a custom desktop PC.

This is going to become more of an enthusiast market than ever in the next several years. Unfortunately, that means that we may not have the options that we once had.
I have quietly been thinking the same thing myself these last couple of years. Personally I hope it doesn't happen, but i'm sure it will. Can't imagine gaming on a laptop ever unless it has at least a 22" screen. And even then, i'd want bigger.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote